Wednesday, December 6, 2006

Men Who Knit

I encountered the men who knit blog a number of months ago. I don't remember how I came upon it, but it was definitely an unexpected find. While eating lunch with some coworkers I mentioned the interesting blog I had just stumbled upon. They laughed. During our conversation I coined the phrase Man-knitting. They laughed again.

Recently I noticed a featured YouTube video about a new DVD that quickly grabbed my attention . . .


This video is a great example of how the gender roles between men and women continue to blur. Men are staying at home with the kids while mom goes to work (check out this at-home dad blog), they're taking on larger roles in the kitchen and around the house, opting for time with the kids rather than putting in extra hours at the office. If men can cook, clean, garden and change diapers, why can't they knit?

That's the question this DVD of man-knitting stories attempts to answer...


Even though the lines are blurring, these men are still men. I spent an afternoon at an at-home dads play group in the KC last summer. Yes, they were changing diapers and tending to skinned knees, but they also talked about drinking beers and the proper way to patch drywall. It's not necessary for them to establish man-barriers. None of them claimed to be parenting in a manly way or handling anything differently than their wives. They expressed frustration with the fact that many view they're parenting roles as "women's work." I'm sure men in the Real Men Knit DVD feel the same way.

I haven't seen it yet, but I may watch it in the future. If I do, I'll provide a detailed synopsis.

No comments: